Friday, January 13, 2012

Getting 'Sappy' about our Christmas Trees

At the start of the holiday season I always say I don't want to get a big tree since they're so much work and are getting more expensive as the years go on. I'd be an advocate for a fake tree but we don't have the space in our townhome for a large fake tree and, despite his allergies, Rob's a fan of getting a real one so I lose the battle. I will admit I enjoy having it in the house once it's there and enjoy decorating it, but when it's time to take the tree down in early January I can't help but get upset that we're tossing out a perfectly good tree, as each year we've been very fortunate that our trees haven't died while we've had them up.

I know it's crazy to admit, but I'll say hi to the tree in the morning and thank it for being in our home for the holidays when we take it down in January. When it comes time to bring it to the curb, I have a personal moment of silence for this pretty tree, which got cut from its roots so we could toss some lights and decorations on it. And, when I walk Buster I'll swing by the garbage to see the tree and say "hi." I know it's not a real being but I still feel bad for the tree, who grew for 7+ years so someone could cut it down for our own purposes instead of providing better air for the earth.

Thanks to this year's Noble Tree from Home Depot, which was in our home from November 25 through January 7. You didn't shed many needles - my vacuum and I thank you.

Last photo of the tree before the decorations started to come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment