Saturday, March 5, 2011

Skiing Milestone

Today I skied down my first black diamond!

While that may not be a big deal to many people, this was a huge step for me. When Rob taught me how to ski almost two or three seasons ago my mentality was never to be an aggressive skier since I don't have the flexibility (or desire) to get a serious injury at this stage of my life.

During my first year of skiing I enjoyed the easy runs, and last year I slowly got the guts for a new challenge - going down the intermediate slopes, or blues. I was comfortable being at those two levels for a while, but this season I had in the back of my head that I'd at least want to try this one particular black diamond run. Well, today was the day. Although it wasn't fresh snow, the conditions were decent and the mountain wasn't crowded so I gave it a whirl. The slope - which is called The Pharaoh - was pretty steep at one part but I took my time and made it down without falling. Phew!

This year was a big year of skiing for me - not only did I go to Vermont (which I told Rob I would never do), but making it down my first diamond was the icing on the cake. While I don't plan on skiing at that level frequently I am very excited to share that I successfully made it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment