Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Impulsive?

Anyone who knows me knows I like to be organized and have a plan. I always have a paper and pen, thanks to one college professor, and chances are it has my list of things to do on it. But, to my credit, I was like that even in high school.

Anyway, people say that before you have kids do those impulsive, spur of the moment trips while you're not tied down. So a few months ago I started looking into long weekend trip ideas for our three year anniversary. I know a few months out isn't very impulsive, but we have a very busy schedule and trying to carve out a long weekend was even tough. Either way, we wanted to go somewhere new and a place we probably wouldn't go with kids, so some ideas included Las Vegas, Cancun, and St. Kitts.

With all the drug cartels in Mexico, our horrible luck with travel, and calls from my grandmother anytime a story about something bad happened in Mexico, we decided not to pursue that trip. St. Kitts doesn't have nonstop flights, and for a 4 or 5 day trip, we didn't want to spend half the day waiting for flights, most of which would probably be delayed due to the close holiday weekend. Plus, those flights were super expensive. Then there was Vegas. I was looking into resorts, hotel reviews, pricing out packages, and then we thought of the idea of Florida since it might be a little less expensive - something that would help since we're doing a ski trip in January. So Rob looked into some discount options through work, and then we decided we wanted to go someplace new. Back to Vegas, and even a day trip to the Grand Canyon, which brings us to yesterday. I see there are a few seats left on the plane that works with our schedule. A decent price at a hotel that got good reviews. There was even a free helicopter ride over the Strip at night thrown in the deal. How romantic! I'm tempted to book, but decide to wait for Rob to get home so we can discuss the options. Then, I step away from the computer for two hours, come back and the available seats on the plane are all gone.

Now, I beyond frustrated with travel ideas and the thought of pricing out a trip that just won't come to fruition at this time. The moral of this post: I am definitely not an impulsive person. The second moral: I would not recommend getting married around a holiday weekend. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment