Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My take on the movie "Water for Elephants"

I know it's been out for a while but I finally had a chance to sit down and watch Water for Elephants, a movie about a vet student who joins a traveling circus after his parents are killed in a car accident.

Although the movie had some good parts, like how the members are like a family, it just reminded me of why I don't like the circus: cruelty to animals. I'm sure circus owners will say how well they treat the animals and the people who work for them; however, behind this love story the movie explains how it's all about the money. The animals were fed old food, forced to work when they were dying, had their teeth removed and were horribly beaten for various reasons. Sure it was nice to watch Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattison (although I'm definitely not a Pattison freak), but the way the poor little elephant, Rosie, gets beaten by the owner was absolutely sickening.

I've been to the circus maybe twice in my life - both times with Rob since he enjoys that "stuff" - but after seeing this movie I can safely say I will never, ever go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment