Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten years later: 9-11

It's crazy to think that today is the 10 year anniversary of September 11. I think it's our generations equivalent of the JFK shooting or when they landed on the moon. You'll never be able to forget where you were or what you were doing when you heard the towers were struck.

Ten years ago today I was a freshman at St. Bonaventure. I went for a run at the track behind my dorm and remember thinking what a beautiful day it was. There wasn't a cloud in the perfectly blue sky. When I got back to my room I turned on the TV and got my stuff ready for a shower. That's when I saw it. The World Trade Centers were hit. I immediately thought about my family. My dad goes into the city often for work; our house was only 30 minutes from NYC; and I also had several extended family members who work in NYC - some in those buildings. Many phone call attempts wouldn't go through, and people were running up and down the hall screaming and running into each others room to watch the coverage. My neighbor, Nancy, came running into our room in tears. Her aunt works in that building but luckily just went on maternity leave that day. It was all so surreal. Our classes that day were cancelled and we all just watched the news and scoured the internet for updates.

I could only imaging how crazy 9-11 would be if Twitter were around back then. There would be tweets of love, fear, revenge. News would have traveled so fast.

It's unfortunate to think of how many people died on that fateful day, yet its amazing at how many lives were saved - whether people were traveling on business, caught the later train or bus, just decided to work from home or made it out of the towers okay.

9-11: Always remember. Never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment