Thursday, January 13, 2011

7 Year Ago Today...

Seven years ago tonight Rob and I first met. Our friend, Dave, and I wanted to meet for coffee to catch up before going back to college after winter break. He asked if I cared that his friend was with him. I didn't mind - it was around 10pm, I was in sweats and we were going to Dunkin Donuts - obviously I wasn't looking to meet anyone. But I guess it's true what they say.. you meet someone when you least expect it.

I remember the smell of his cologne, and how he turned around in the car and said "Hi, I'm Rob."

In a passing mention, we said too bad we couldn't meet up in a few weeks - we'd be 21 and could go for a beer instead of coffee. Small world, his birthday is February 6th and mine is the 7th.

Hanging out at Dunkin' Donuts, I thought he was a goofball - but a cute one.

A few nights later we met again when our group of mutual friends went bowling. He still made me laugh, but I also got to see his sweet side. It was on that cold night in January - January 16th to be exact - we had our first kiss.

Before going back to school, we had a special date. He picked me up and we went to the mall. This was the first time we went out alone, and I remember being a little nervous. Walking around the mall, we passed by Build a Bear. He took me in to get a stuffed puppy to go back to school with, and I can still picture him spinning in a circle as they made him "make a wish" with the heart. I still have the stuffed animal on the bed.

He was funny, caring and talented. Although I was hesitant to get involved in a relationship, I wanted to get to know him better.

We talked on the phone a lot the first few weeks we were away at college. Over the next few months, we became close. It was in those conversations and emails I knew he could be "The One."

Although we lived six hours apart, he came to visit me any chance he had. He drove through snowstorms, traveled through the night, and even slept at rest stops so we could be together on weekends.

I remember our first "I love you," how excited I got whenever an instant message or email popped on my screen, and the anticipation of opening the cards I would get in my mailbox. I remember how he always held my hand, and how they fit together just so.

When I imagined my future, it was with him. That's when saying good-bye got harder and harder.

I know we have our ups and downs and that I annoy him with my type-A personality. But no matter what he is my strength, my better half, and my best friend. I know as long as he is by my side, everything will be okay.

Our wedding song was "I Finally Found Someone." One of the main lines that sold us was:

It started over coffee. We started out as friends. It's funny how from simple things the best things begin.

I love you, honey. I never would have thought going out for a cup of coffee would have changed my life. Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment