Thursday, April 21, 2011

In Anticipation of "The Royal Wedding"

Next Friday, Prince William will marry Catherine Middleton. Although I'm American and not related in any way to the royal family (or a British person), I'll admit that I am actually excited about their big day.

It's sad to admit, but I get excited and care about most weddings. For instance, when we were on vacation there were two weddings on the beach and we stuck around to watch one of them. I'm not sure what intrigues me the most - the anticipation of the bride coming down the aisle, what she'll be wearing, the groom's reaction before and after he sees his bride, the music, the flowers, if either of them will get choked up during the vows, and in this case, what the guests will be wearing (I think the hats the British wear are so much fun!).

In addition to the general anticipation of a wedding, this one is extra special. I was watching the show "The Middle" on ABC last night, and the episode focused around the mom (Patricia Heaton) preparing to watch the royal wedding. She got scones, a hat, the commemorative tea cup and plate, and even upgraded her TV so she can watch this highly anticipated event in high definition. When things weren't going according to plan she broke down to her family and explained why this is so important to her. Catherine will start the day as a commoner, arriving in a car to her wedding, and she will leave as a princess in a horse drawn carriage married to the man she loves. It's an extra special fairytale the whole world will watch in anticipation - and I'll be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment